We are also doing our best to provide these sustainable alternatives, at the most reasonable price possible, so that switching to these alternatives is financially feasible. We believe, our pricing for products is competitive with currently available paper and plastic alternatives and give some comparisons below and will be adding to it as time permits. We can supply to and encourage large scale users of plastic/paper/styrofoam such as restaurants, school districts, universities, government & corporate cafeterias to switch to these "biocompostables" to reduce the impact on the environment. Please visit our Contact Us page or call 650-283-3797 for pricing, questions or comments and we will work with you to get these products be used in your school, university, cafeteria, business, restaurant. For smaller orders please see our online store.
One obvious question is: how do the prices of biocompostable food service and packaging products compare to the existing paper, styrofoam and plastic products? Products on the market generally do not take into account the "environmental and social costs" to society. Instead, these costs are internalized to society at large in terms of pollution, toxicity, exploitation of natural resources, weak or non existent labor standards, exploitation of workers etc. Ideally, the costs of products on the market should include environmental and social costs such as:
- Pollution and toxicity caused in extraction, mining or growing and transportation of the raw materials (e.g. land, air and water pollution)
- Impact on communities and people on the extraction of these resources (e.g. cutting down of rainforests, or destroying indigenous communities to extract oil and build pipelines or mine for minerals)
- Toxicity and pollution caused in the manufacture of the product itself
- Exploitation of workers for production of raw materials and/or the product.
- Distorting subsidies which permit exploitation of raw resources, which would not be possible without the taxes paid for by the taxpayer.
Paper vs Bagasse - Price Comparison
We will be adding price comparisons as time permits.