Reports to: CEO
Direct Reports: 0
Location: Petaluma HQ
World Centric is a 13 year old leading supplier of certified compostable disposable packaging based in Petaluma CA. The Company started as a non-profit in 2004 and now is a California Benefit Corporation and a certified B-Corp. It offsets all its carbon emissions and donates at least 25% of profits to environmentally and socially conscious organizations.
World Centric has over 250 different products and sells into retail and foodservice across the U.S. World Centric was founded in 2004 as a non-profit to raise awareness of how we are severely degrading the planet’s ecosystems and at the same time creating vast inequalities where billions of people are living without access to basic necessities of adequate food, water, health care, education, housing, sanitation etc. Now, as a for-profit we strive to create the most impact we can both socially and environmentally and envision a world where everyone’s basic needs can be met.
World Centric, as a leader in the compostables packaging, has a dynamic, fast-paced, high growth work environment and is looking for professionals who can thrive in such an environment. The culture and mission fit is very important for us and these requirements include a strong awareness, passion and commitment for social and environmental issues; a high degree of competence, motivation and initiative; and adaptability and ability to collaborate with others.
We are seeking a Product Development Manager to manage design and introduction of compostable food service products. This position is based at our headquarters in Petaluma, California.
- Manages and coordinates the company’s product development
- Works with industrial designer and uses knowledge of injection molding, thermoforming and compression molding techniques to finalize product designs for food service disposables and other compostable packaging.
- Ensures product designs meet requirements for aesthetics, usability and performance.
- Works with external customers to execute designs, modifications, prototypes as per their requirements.
- Evaluates and resolves technical feasibility, design optimization and production issues.
- Responsible for quoting pricing for new products based on manufacturing, material and other costs.
- Works with suppliers for prototype tooling and final product tooling.
- Responsible for product lifecycle management. Manages multiple development projects and ensures delivery on time and to quality specs.
- Organizes, tracks and manages all documents, design files and communication from initial request/concept to final product delivery.
- Tracks/updates new sku development from conception to purchasing hand off
- Maintains lists of products proposed, in development and finalized.
- Coordinates such lists with Marketing for photography, sell sheet and catalog creation
- Establishes timelines and continually monitors product development process
- Consistently communicates with suppliers to track design and development work-flow
- Tracks all custom molded special order items, mold development progress, mold prototyping, and mold billing to customers.
- Manages roll out of new products, including:
- Working with marketing for spec sheets for new sku’s
- Arranging shipping of new sku sales samples to sales reps
- Using space modeling software to analyze product specs and propose most efficient packaging, box sizes, pallet and truckload maximizations.
- Supports new product development or research as needed
- Responsible for identifying and recommending new product initiatives and related incentives in collaboration with regional sales managers, marketing, purchasing, and head of creative (CEO).
- Researches and monitors existing client base and industry developments and identifies potential new product opportunities
- Performs competitive analysis including pricing of competitors products not stocked and business potential for stocking.
- Crafts business cases and product plans for new product concepts or features.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in product design and management
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design/Engineering or related field
- Understanding of injection molding, thermoforming, compression molding processes, capabilities and design constraints.
- Experience with SolidWorks and ability to develop detailed drawings a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of product development processes and project management
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Familiar with logistics and production planning concepts
- Broad range of computer skills—database, spreadsheet, and logistics software packages
- Self-directed; ability to communicate findings, make recommendations, and facilitate change
- Comfortable working with individuals at all organizational levels
Compensation & Benefits
- Compensation dependent on experience
- Open vacation/sick leave policy
- 401K, health/dental/vision benefits
- Work for company passionate about making a difference in the world.
Please send your experience and a brief cover letter exploring how your skill set and experience fits in with the position and why World Centric interests you. In your cover letter, please include the social and/or environmental issues that are important to you along with why you would be a good fit for World Centric. Please send information to jobs-PD@worldcentric.org. No phone calls, please. Please do not forward a LinkedIn profile.