Community Development for the Kabukanga Cluster of Ndaiga in Kagadi District, Uganda
Impact Projects

Community Development for the Kabukanga Cluster of Ndaiga in Kagadi District, Uganda

World Centric + Raising the Village

$53,047.00 from profits from fiscal year 2019

Ultra-poverty is the most difficult and deepest form of poverty to address. Over 400 million people live in ultra poverty, with 80% living in just 14 countries, including Uganda. Ultra-poor families primarily practice subsistence farming on less than one acre and live in last-mile rural areas. Households in the Ndaiga parish of Kagadi District, Uganda, survive on an average $0.43/day, well below the ultra-poverty line of $0.75/day and extreme poverty line of $2/day. Low income has exacerbated livelihood challenges including poor quality housing, limited access to WASH elements for sanitation, and the inability for subsistence households to address development shocks.

Raising the Village (RTV) focuses on moving last mile, rural communities out of ultra poverty. RTV applies a low-cost, livelihood-based solution to support ultra-poor communities. Programs aim to engage all village members, with an emphasis on women, youth, and vulnerable households in achieving economic self-sufficiency within 24 months.

The RTV model:

  • Livelihoods: Develop a diversified portfolio of household income sources to reduce the dependency on household agriculture and optimize the quality of life for families.
  • Access: Remove immediate barriers to accessing basic needs and services.
  • Guidance: Technical advisory, follow-up and mentorship to ensure communities are able to sustainably manage and own projects over the long-term.

The Impact

  • Kabukanga Cluster is made up of 10 villages. World Centric is funding 5 of those communities (2,701 individuals) to participate in a 10-month training program with Raising the Village. This includes
    • WASH Training, Latrine Construction & Water Pipeline Installation
    • Door-step Health Outreaches
    • Financial Literacy & Behavior Change training
    • Agriculture Training, Compost & Nursery Setup, Seed Distribution & Pass-On
    • Livestock Training, Construction, and Distribution

Indirect impacts:

  • We expect the average household income & consumption to increase from $0.43/day to $0.75/day by month 12 and reach $1.25/day by month 24.
  • We expect PPI (Poverty Probability Index) Indicators to improve by 13 points, from 48% to 35% by month 24.
  • We expect 60% of all households to have access to local credit by month 24.
  • Due to the installation of latrines, water systems and WASH training, open defecation and the dumping of raw sewage into the lake and river will cease. We look to achieve a reduction of typhoid and other water borne diseases instances in the communities by 90%.
  • We expect a 50% increase in households practicing improved WASH from baseline. We expect each village to achieve at least 1 self- initiated WASH project by month 24.
  • We expect 40% of women and 20% of youth to hold a total of 60% of all village based leadership positions across all villages.

About Raising the Village

A World Centric partner since 2020.


Written by

World Centric


Read time

3 minutes


Published on

Jul 16, 2020


Be the first to know about new products, educational articles, and exclusive offers for email subscribers only.