Looking for a compostable solution for your products? Send your project ideas our way. World Centric is committed to helping our customers develop their own compostable products.
Popular areas of product development are:
- Medical disposables
- Science lab disposables
- Other food service items (muffin containers, bakery containers, etc)
- Product packaging
Step 1: Determine which material will work for your products: fiber-based material or compostable plastics.
Fiber based: We work with bagasse (sugarcane fiber), bamboo and wheat straw. Fiber-based products are extremely durable and are an excellent, easily renewable substitute for wood-fiber paper products. They can handle hot liquids up to 190 F, and are freezer safe. There is no wax lining and products will have a smooth finish. We can even emboss your logo onto the finished product. Please see the Eco-Profiles page for more information on product specifications.
Compostable plastics: Our bags, utensils, clear cold containers are all made from certified compostable resins derived from plant starch/PLA. Compostable plastics for the most part mimic plastic properties but differ in a few properties. Color printing is an option. Please see the Bioplastics (PLA) page for more information on product specifications.
If you are not familiar with our products, we recommend you order sample packs of our fiber-based and corn starch/PLA products to test for compatibility with your project idea.
Step 2: Estimate the project requirements. Projects need to meet a minimum order quantity.
- Minimum order of 100,000 units for fiber-based custom designs
- Minimum order of 200,000 units for corn starch PLA custom designs
Step 3: Begin the design process. Below is an estimation of the design timeframe. It will vary depending on project complexity.
1. Initial Design (2-3 weeks)
- Option One: Mail a physical product example for what you want created – We will create 3D design from the sample of the physical product.
- Option Two: Sketch a design with the exact dimensions that you would like created – We will create a 3D design based on your sketch and dimensions for the product.
- Option Three: Email the source file of an already created design in 3D – SolidWorks preferred – We will make sure that the file is consistent with our requirements and tooling requirements – design may need to be modified for draft angles, inset radiuses etc.
Please note that World Centric design time is billed at $150/hour.
2. Prototype Mold (4 weeks)
- World Centric Design Department will do an initial review of the design
- Prototype mold and production mold costs/estimates given
- Design confirmed by client and finalized by World Centric (prototype … etc.) Prototype mold costs range from $1.500-$2,000, depending on complexity of design.
3. Pricing – Pricing finalized (based on confirmed prototype mold sample and unit weight, the unit pricing is confirmed.)
4. Production Mold (4 weeks) – Mold(s) created (production mold costs range from $10,000-$18,000, based on design, complexity and forming process [injection molding, thermoforming, etc.])
5. Production (6-8 weeks) – Production of order from approved mold(s.)
Please call us at 707-241-9190 to speak to a Customer Service Representative for more information.